May 8, 2015

Lets spend the day in Farnham

If there is one place in England that has totally stolen my heart, it would be Farnham. I have amazing memories of my childhood, most of them taking place in Farnham. So I thought I would take the time to share with you a few things to do around the area if you find yourself here for a day or two.



Farnham, Surrey

I spent a few years growing up in this quaint little town. It has many things to offer. Boutique clothing stores, farmers markets, coffee shops and the huge park which includes Farnham castle. This beautiful town is well worth the visit. Spend the day wandering around the shops, check out cathedral, walk along the river and the park where you can spend a few hours relaxing in the grass, having a picnic, reading or just enjoying the peace and quiet.



The Sculpture Park

The Sculpture Park is located about 30 mins outside of Farnham, Surrey. Its the largest all year round sculpture exhibition in the world, with over 600 sculptures from many different artists. Tucked away in acres of maintained ponds and flowers gardens its a magical experience. Most of the sculptures are also available for purchase, if only I had more room in my suitcase.

Promising hours of fun, allow yourself to get lost and wander through the trails. Each sculpture is set up in a unique area setting the scene for amazing pictures. I would recommend breaking up your day by wandering over to the pub across the street which offers all kinds of refreshments.



Jane Austen's House Museum

I have been a long time Jane Austen fan as I am sure many other people are. Whenever I have taken trips to England I always make it a habit of stopping by one of the places that feature something regarding Jane Austen. Located in Chawton, Hampshire its about 16 mins away from Farnham. This is a really small town and there really isn't much else to it other then the museum, although there is a lovely cafe right across the street.

This beautiful 18th century house is where she spent the last 8 years of her life. The house itself features artifacts that belonged to Jane Austen. Walk through the rooms and experience how she lived back then. Outside wander through the cottage garden where you are free to sit and enjoy a picnic.



Waverley Abbey

Located about 2 miles outside of Farnham, this abbey is well worth the trip. One of the first abbeys to be built in England it was unfortunately mostly destroyed during the dissolution of the monasteries. Hidden away in the countryside with nothing around it for miles it is a very peaceful place. Walk around and enjoy the serenity that is offered by this mystical place. The abbey is well maintained and even has drawings of what it use to look like when it was first built.





1 comment :

  1. Farnham looks incredible! How wonderful to have spent so much time growing up there. I would love to visit Jane Austen's House Museum, and Waverley Abbey looks about as picture perfect as it could get! I love venturing into the countryside to discover beautiful places like the Abbey.

    Carly x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog. Please leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. I read each and every comment and try my best to reply to everyone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...